Learn to make mouth-watering Creme Brulee at home
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cups of sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped out (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- Plus extra sugar for topping appx 1 tablespoon for each
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pour cream, half the sugar, and vanilla into a saucepan. Heat on medium until the cream becomes slightly steamy and small bubbles form. (do not let this boil) Set off to the side of the heat and let the vanilla steep for another minute or so.
- Combine egg yolks and remaining sugar and gently whisk till the eggs are a pale yellow and the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Slowly add cream mixture to the eggs a little at a time while gently stirring with a whisk (tempering the eggs) Do not rush this part or you will cook your eggs.
- pour your mixture thru a strainer to remove any lumps and vanilla husk and seeds.
- place ramekins in a pan and pour the mixture into shallow ramekins (90% full)
- Pour boiling water into the pan to create a water bath which will help your custard cook evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the custard is set and the center jiggles just a bit (refer to video)
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temp. Then place the ramekins in the fridge for at least 1 hour overnight is preferable.
- Place one tablespoon of sugar in each ramekin and rotate to spread the sugar evenly.
- Use a cooking torch to caramelize the sugar place it back in the fridge till cool and enjoy!